In a previous post we talked about the University Chapel organ that was kindly donated by Lord Maclay. Today’s blog will offer some more information on Lord Maclay and his sons who perished during the Great War.
In 1921, Lord and Lady Maclay donated their home at 17 Park Terrace to the University in memory of their two sons who fell during the Great War. A plaque was erected to commemorate the gift, it reads:
Gifted to Glasgow University by
Sir Joseph and Lady Maclay
In memory of their sons
Lieut. Ebenezer Maclay Scots Guards
killed in action before Arras 1918
Lieut . William S. Maclay Scottish Rifles
Killed in action in Gallipoli 1915
Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay (often listed as Captain), 1st Battalion, Scots Guards, was Lord Maclay’s eldest son. He was educated at Glasgow Academy and received a B.A. from Cambridge. On service since the outbreak of the war, Lieutenant Maclay fought through and survived the Gallipoli campaign but was later killed by a German sniper near Arras 11 April 1918, age 27.
William S. Maclay, 2nd Lieutenant from the 8th Battalion, Cameronians, Scottish Rifles, was Lord Maclay’s second eldest son. He was educated at Glasgow Academy and Lews School, Cambridge, where he was a prominent member of the football team. He received his commission the day after the war was declared and proceeded with his regiment to the Dardanelles. He died of wounds received in action at Dardanelles, 28 June 1915, age 19.
Joseph Paton Maclay (1857-1951), 1st Baron Maclay, was Chairman of the shipping company Maclay & Macintyre and a generous benefactor to the University. Lord Maclay’s name is known to generations of students through the halls of residence that bear his name – Maclay Hall, located at 17 Park Terrace (1922–2004) and Maclay Residences located at 9 Cooperage Place.
Born in Glasgow, Maclay formed his shipping company with Thomas Walker Macintyre in 1885. He became a town councillor and magistrate in the city and in 1914 was created a baronet. In 1916 he was appointed Minister of Shipping and he was created a Baron in Lloyd George’s resignation honours list in 1922. He was awarded an honorary LLD by the University in 1919.
Maclay Hall opened as a student residence at the beginning of the 1922–1923 session and closed in December 2014. It was the first hall of residence provided by the University of Glasgow for students.